Social Media Marketing Overview
There are over 3.5 billion social media users, accounting for about 45% of the world’s population. There are Tik-Tok videos that have over 2 billion views. Facebook’s most viewed video, People Are Awesome 2017, has a little under 400 million views. With numbers like those, it’s easy to understand and see why pretty much every business should be investing in social media marketing.
Mo’ value, mo’ engagement – People will only follow you if they find your account valuable and/or and would be something they want to see on their social feed every day. No one wants to see an ad on their screen unless it’s forced upon them by the platform itself. After taking over a few social media accounts, we have noticed that a good number of them only post pictures of their products or services they are selling. Bring value in your posts! You know your audience best, define what they like and share it!
Interact with people – People want to interact with people. Companies are comprised of people so your company’s social media account needs to operate like so. Talk to people, follow relevant companies and figure heads in your industry, and send direct messages if you like a post. Most importantly – reply to the comments in your posts!
Utilize your blogs for content – Running out of content ideas? A blog works hand-in-hand with social media marketing. You can break a blog article down into multiple posts, highlighting valuable information from the article and in turn, push users to it.
User Content – Share relevant content from your customers! If a customer posts a photo of your product, make sure to share it with your audience by reposting or retweeting it, and comment on their post!
Do Not Miss This!
Spam = bad – Due to the social media algorithms, you do not want to spam a ton of posts and articles. Facebook and Instagram shows any post you put out to 1% of your full audience size. If no one reacts or interacts; they stop showing the post and bury it. If there is engagement in that 1%, they open it up to the remaining 99%. If a majority of your posts continue to get buried, they shadow-ban your account, leading to every single one of your posts being buried. Typically, 1 post a day is more than enough!
Common practices like follow4follow and buying fake followers do not work like they have in the past. Having a large network of fake followers does nothing for your social media accounts, unless it’s solely for reputation’s sake.
What About Influencer Marketing?
Hiring influencers seem to be the new fad, but unfortunately, that time has past due to market over-saturation. Most influencers have fake followers and fake engagement through engagement pods, which are private groups of social media gurus that engage with each other’s content to game the algorithm into thinking that your posts have more visibility than they do.
This sounds great! So why doesn’t it work? Once you join one, any post that you publish has an abnormally higher amount of engagement compared to your previous post. According to a study done by Hootsuite, upon joining 2 engagement pods, the writer had a post end up with 749 likes, a 1,398% increase from her usual posts, which is a huge red flag in Instagram’s books. Additionally, the number is so abnormally different than what she usually saw that it screamed “fake likes.” Although she saw a heavy uplift in likes, it didn’t correspond to followers, which suggested that her page wasn’t liked at all and the pods were solely liking the post she linked.
Read more about engagement pods here!
However, if you would still like to try out influencer marketing for yourself, our recommendation would be avoiding anyone who’s not famous with over 10,000 followers. The likelihood of that large number of followers being organic is close to zero. Look for influencers who are popular outside of the social media platform, such as collegiate athletes, podcast hosts, bands, or local artists.
With it getting harder and harder each day to grow your following organically, some businesses have opted to consider paid social media advertising through Google AdWords or Facebook Advertising. Social media marketing and paid advertising work can work hand-in-hand – with social media marketing being a slower, cheaper option, whereas paid advertising can provide immediate results.